Contact Us: 904-737-2040
3595 Cardinal Point Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32257
Laser Assisted Periodontal Therapy – LANAP (Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure)
Gum disease isn’t widely talked about, but can have a big impact on your life. Gum disease is linked to several health problems – from heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and pre-term babies – but only a small percentage of these adults get the treatment they need. Patients suffering
from gum disease often feel less confident and fear losing their teeth. Traditional gum disease treatment options involve cutting the gum tissue or extracting the teeth. Dr. Roger Robinson is certified in a unique laser gum disease treatment, the LANAP protocol.
The LANAP® protocol uses a special dental laser, the PerioLase® MVP-7™. A tiny fiber about the width of three human hairs in inserted between the gum tissue and teeth, where it targets and destroys bacteria deep within the pockets of the gums without affecting healthy tissue. There is no cutting and suturing with the LANAP protocol. Patients typically report less pain and discomfort during and after the procedure, compared to traditional periodontal surgery. This patient friendly procedure helps you get healthy again comfortably, without fear.
Because of the gentle nature of the procedure, patients typically see immediate results with less bleeding when brushing and less bad breath. Patients undergoing this type of treatment enjoy fast healing times and more predictable results. Call us at Northeast Florida Periodontics and Dental Implants and take care of your oral and total health today!
LANAP Protocol Explained:
- Faster Healing – LANAP® treatment is minimally invasive and allows the body to recover and heal more quickly.
- Less Discomfort – Patients report less discomfort during and after surgery.
- No Cut, No Sew, No Fear – the LANAP protocol uses laser light energy to eliminate the bacteria that cause gum disease, and help your mouth recover faster.
- Minimal Recovery Time – Most patients can immediately return to their daily routine.
- Little to No Gum Recession – Because the procedure does not require cutting the gums, there is less risk of recession and your beautiful smile is maintained.
- Reduction in Gum Inflammation and Bleeding – The PerioLase® MVP-7™ targets inflammatory bacteria without injuring healthy tissue.
- Saves Teeth – Patients can keep their natural teeth sometimes even when the teeth have been deemed ‘hopeless’ with traditional treatments. Keeping your natural teeth has been linked to a longer lifespan!
- Safe for patients with Health Concerns –LANAP® protocol is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix or aspirin.
LANAP periodontal surgery is a full-mouth procedure usually completed in two 2-hour visits. Dr. Roger Robinson completes one side of the mouth during the first visit and completes the other side on the second visit. Surgeries are usually scheduled within one week of one another. It is common to quickly return to work or other activities.
You may experience mild aching, throbbing, and soreness of the treated areas for the first couple days—this can be helped with mild pain medications. The tissue around the teeth may appear discolored. Your bite may feel slightly different, but the teeth will adapt. You cannot brush or floss for the first 7-10 days after treatment, and you will need to follow a liquid or mushy diet. Smoking decreases results for all gum treatments, including LANAP.
As the gums heal, the teeth will shift, and your bite will need to be adjusted several times over the coming months. Splints may be fabricated to stabilize and immobilize the teeth. It is important that you wear these splints as instructed to promote healing. Expect to have your teeth professionally cleaned every three months for at least the first year, and then as recommended by Dr. Roger Robinson.
Patients with moderate-to-severe gum disease can especially benefit from the LANAP protocol. The LANAP protocol is also an excellent treatment option for patients who are fearful of conventional scalpel surgery and patients taking certain medications, such as blood thinners. With the LANAP protocol, patients do not have to stop taking any medications.
The health risks of gum disease go far beyond the loss of teeth. There is a connection between gum disease and a number of serious medical conditions. People with periodontal disease are almost twice as likely to suffer from coronary artery disease, and have nearly twice the risk of having a fatal heart attack. Gum disease has also been linked to other health problems, including respiratory disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, certain cancers, heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, erectile dysfunction, HPV, and pregnancy complications.
Yes! Using the PerioLase MVP-7, Dr. Roger Robinson can often save ailing or failing implants in a similar manner using the LAPIP™ protocol. Dr. Roger Robinson will use the same laser, but different laser settings and light exposure that will help your implant stabilize while destroying periodontal pathogens and endotoxins.